Have you woken up with skin that looks a little lackluster? Dull skin is a common affliction, and thankfully there are plenty of steps you can take to regain your glow. Keep reading for our simple and effective dull skin skincare routine!
What Causes Dull Skin?
The first step to avoiding dull skin is knowing what causes it. Here are a few factors that may be contributing to your skin looking less than stellar:
- Forgetting to moisturize your skin. When your skin barrier is damaged from harsh skincare products, too much sun and other daily stressors, it results in dry dull skin. Thankfully, maintaining your skin barrier’s health can be as easy as using a high-quality moisturizer twice a day. We recommend using one with a ceramide complex, which strengthens the structure of your skin barrier.
- Not drinking enough water. You know by now that hydration is important to your health, and it’s critical for glowy skin too. One trick to get more hydration if you don’t like chugging water? Eat water-rich foods like watermelon, cucumbers and tomatoes.
- Exfoliating too much (or not enough). Moderation is the name of the game when it comes to exfoliating. If you do it too much, you risk damaging your skin’s barrier and making your skin even duller. Yet if you don’t exfoliate frequently enough, product and dead skin buildup can also lead to less than luminous skin. There isn’t a magic number for how often you should exfoliate; it will largely depend on your skin. We recommend starting at two times per week and building up from there if your skin needs it.
- Getting older. Until they invent time machines, aging skin is largely something we have to make our peace with. But good skincare, a healthy diet and reducing your sun exposure and stress levels can all help your skin look healthier and more youthful.
- Overuse of harsh products. Just like too much exfoliation can dull your skin, so too can overuse of harsh products like retinols, acne medications and acids. We suggest limiting your use of these products to the minimum frequency prescribed on the bottle. You can always use more if you’re not seeing the results you desire.
- Poor lifestyle choices. All the things that you already know aren’t great for your health, like smoking, excessive drinking, lack of sleep and high levels of stress can also contribute to dull skin.
Skincare Routine for Dull Skin
If your skin is looking a little blah, try incorporating the following tips into your skincare routine:
Tip #1: Wash your face twice a day.
It can be easy to skip washing your face when you’ve had a long day, or when you’re feeling groggy in the morning. But regular cleansing is critical to preventing thep product buildup that contributes to dull skin.
We’ve formulated a cleanser that’s not only gentle enough to use twice a day, but is also boosted with tons of B-Vitamins to build up your skin’s resistance to external pollutants, so your skin barrier has a fighting chance!
Tip #2 Rinse your face with lukewarm or cool water.
We’ve all been guilty of scrubbing our face under hot shower water, but this practice can be drying for your skin. (Not to mention it can inflame and worsen conditions such as rosacea.) Always cleanse your face with lukewarm water, or cool water if you can tolerate it! You’ll find that the cooler the water is, the more revitalized you feel and the glowier your skin appears.
Tip #3 Wear your sunscreen.
It’s so tempting to eschew sun safety for a bronze tan, but it’s just not worth it. (And besides, there are tons of face-safe and natural looking faux tanners on the market these days.) UV exposure is one of the top contributors to all kinds of skin woes--from early signs of aging and skin cancer to dull and tired looking skin. So load up on the sunscreen before you leave your house every day. Your face will thank you for it!
Tip #4 Nourish your skin with serums and face masks.
One cool thing about our bodies? They let us know when something isn’t right! Dull skin may just be your body’s way of telling you that your skin needs a little more nourishment. If that’s the case, it’s time for a radiance-promoting vitamin C serum. We’ve formulated ours with an unusually high quality lipid-soluble form of Vitamin-C so that you get the maximum benefit from every drop and can leave dull skin in the past.
This is also an excellent time to indulge in a face mask that infuses your skin with the vitamins it craves. Our Yuki-Onna Facial is designed to take the place of some of those expensive spa treatments and still get excellent results at home. It’s packed full of antioxidant rich pomegranate and acai to help kick dullness to the curb.
The Complete System to Banish Dull Skin
Taking excellent care of your skin should be simple and seamless. That’s why we’ve put all of our glow-boosting products into one joyful-box that delivers to your door regularly. With The Complete System, you provide your skin with the deep hydration and nutrition that it needs, so dull skin is a thing of the past.